Monday, December 18, 2006

The Backstory- to the Future! (originally posted on LiveModern on January 14, 2005)

My two-story traditional modular house project was now up in the air due to a conflict with the modular manufacturer. I had a weekend to think about the future of the project- whether to try another modular builder or to do something else entirely...

When Ron the builder broke the "bad news" to me that my two-story traditional modular house had hit a major snafu, I seized the opportunity to scrap the project altogether and start anew. I was shocked at my reaction; it's amazing how within a ten-minute period one can so readily/eagerly discard a piece of work that has been labored over for months. It just wasn't what I was about. By the end of my conversation with Ron the builder, I knew what I had to do.

BUT I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A "MODERNIST"

Immediately I realized that I wanted to go modern. I had never been a "traditional" person, so why was I going to start now? I had complete creative control over my destiny, yet for some reason I did not step up to the plate with the house.

In some ways I feel like I was always a "modernist," but I just never quite had a name for it. I have always had a deep appreciation for conservation, recycling, etc. I have been a vegetarian for 16 years (the meat industry is one of the major polluters of the nation's drinkable water supply). I am a shameless Democrat and have been aghast at the negative impact on the environment conferred by the latest "regime." I detest SUVs. Having grown up in a McMansion development in suburbia, I had grown to hate "pseudo" architecture. I never liked frilly things or the ornate appearance of things. I always liked clean, simple, modern lines in everything- clothes, cars, furniture, etc. And moving to live in Manhattan, and getting to know people in the design and media fields, exposed me to a world of modern that I never quite knew about before while living in suburbia. It was an eye-opening experience for sure.

RESOLUTION 4

After some initial exploration around the web I somehow arrived at the Dwell Home competition website. And I instantly became very interested in the Dwell Home winner- the Resolution 4 house. After navigating through the Resolution 4 website, I became quite fascinated with the thought of building a house that seemed to be stackable like building blocks. And I assumed that it would be relatively inexpensive to produce because each "block" was a simple 14-foot wide box of varying length.

I called Ron the builder to discuss Resolution 4. The sobering reality was that he knew Resolution 4 very well. Very, very well. In a nutshell he was the one who helped Resolution 4 evaluate various modular manufacturers (mostly in Pennsylvania), so he knew that they would not come cheaply. And this is where I came up with my "brilliant" scheme. In my naivete, I figured, hey, who needs them anyway? I'll just take my existing two-story traditional design and put a Resolution 4 "skin" over it. I really liked their use of concrete (or hardiboard?) with wood siding, so I stole all of their design cues and produced this monstrosity, my first and last attempt at being an architect:



Needless to say, Ron the builder did not mince words- it was utter garbage. He said that he would call over to Resolution 4 to see if they were willing to give me a break on the design fee due to all of the pro bono work (evaluating modular builders) he had done for them in the past. With that flimsy possibility looming on the horizon, I optimistically continued to explore the Resolution 4 topologies to see what worked for me. Although the combinations were virtually endless and kind of fun to play around with, I came to realize that despite the novelty, it didn't seem like a particularly practical house, or a house that would be easy to live in. For example, the designs seemed to lack basic amenities like a laundry room, closets, utility rooms, and in most cases, a garage. And I wondered how such a house would withstand a hurricane, a major Nor'easter, or heavy snowfall. I'm certainly no engineer, but my gut told me that it probably wasn't the sturdiest of structures.

Still, I googled "Resolution 4A" to see if there were any other projects out there, and that search lead me to the fabprefab site. Eureka, I had hit the goldmine! It was just what I was looking for.

My enthusiasm waned a bit as I started clicking around the site to check out the various "fabzone" and "fablist" projects posted. A lot of them seemed to be strictly "science fiction" or case studies, rather than actual houses. However, buried in among the glass and cantilevered designs was a link to Nate Wieler's site. I went there and pretty much decided then and there that I wanted to build the Ralph Rapson Greenbelt 2. I e-mailed a link to the Wieler site to Ron the builder.

"GREENER" PASTURES

"I LOVE this!" Ron beamed on the telephone the next day. Because Wieler Homes was based out of North Carolina, I noted that it would be impractical for us to have the modulars built through Wieler. The costs would have been beyond prohibitive. Then we briefly discussed the notion of doing our own knock-off version. But the problem is that none of the local modular builders have ever built a house like this, and there would be huge costs and delays incurred through engineering and New York state approval (all modular houseplans in NY must be reviewed and approved by the state). And that is assuming that any modular company would be willing to take on such an unusual house made of such unusual materials (like polygal, EPDM, galvalume, etc.). Ron the builder assured me that it could be site-built using panelized components. But he said that he would get back to me later in the day.

Later in the day Ron called me to tell ask me how much I would be willing to pay for design work? I wasn't quite prepared for this. I knew what Resolution 4 would get, so I knew I didn't have money in my budget for those kinds of fees. I gave him a low-ball number. When I asked why he was asking this question, he replied that he was in the process of negotiating a design deal with Nate Wieler at Wieler Homes. He said that he would call me back later.

A few minutes later Ron called me to tell me that Wieler countered with a nominally higher sum, but the deal would include the following: a single license to build the design, the floorplans and elevations, hours of design consultation with Rapson Architects, and when my building permit is issued, a signed drawing of my customized house by Ralph Rapson himself. It was an offer I couldn't pass up. However, the catch to all of this is that I had to agree to allow the house to be photographed for promotional purposes after it is built. That was all fine and dandy.

HOW "GREEN" WAS MY GREENBELT

For some time Ron the builder had been working with the local Southampton building officials to convince them to accept foundation walls constructed from Super Walls, which are precast concrete panels that are craned into position at the job site. Since we were not working within the constraints of modulars I decided that I wanted to incorporate the concrete walls into the design of the Greenbelt 2. First and foremost, I have always loved the look of concrete in residential applications. But I also liked the notion of being able to leave it unfinished and never having to paint it or maintain it. It is also extremely durable, sustainable and extremely thick. However, my primary concern was whether the Rapsons (Ralph and Toby, his son) would be receptive to this idea. After all, here is the stock Greebelt 2 image from the Wieler Homes website:



Anyway, I was very relieved to learn that Ralph Rapson had actually considered precast concrete panels for the Greenbelt 2. Out of the blue, Toby Rapson sent me the following image that Ralph had sketched with the first floor of the Greenbelt 2 done in precast concrete panels, and the second floor finished with T&G cedar boards. In addition, he suggested the use of curved Kalwall or some other polycarbonate for a domed roof over the greenbelt. I'm not doing it (cost prohibitive), but it looks really neat! But I am definitely doing the semi-detached garage. Ralph felt that an attached garage would have appeared too "monolithic."



STILL TO COME... THE FINAL CUSTOMIZED GREENBELT 2 PLANS...

No comments: