Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Everything happens for a reason


Will I ever win? Will something good ever happen to me?

The latest hurdle to my progress was the abrupt resignation of my lead carpenter. Abrupt as in, "I'm going back home to Romania for an indefinite period. Oh, and I've got a plane to catch." He said that he would return when the time was right. But in our heart of hearts, Ron the builder and I knew that we would probably never see him again. I certainly did not see this coming, but apparently he had dropped subtle hints here and there about what was about to transpire. Rumor has it (from his buddies in the construction trade) that his Romanian girlfriend was extremely homesick and hated living in the Hamptons. I suppose I don't blame her. There is no Romanian community to speak of on the East End. Yeah, things are kind of fun and exciting during the summer season... but winters can be brutally desolate here at the end of the world.

I don't know about you, but I suspect most people do not quit their jobs, rid themselves of their material possessions and terminate their leases before heading off on an extended trip abroad.

As for me, I can only wish him well... although I wish he could have been more transparent about his intentions. I would have appreciated some kind of a lead time for finding his replacement; but alas, here I am without a go-to guy for the odds and ends that need to be performed.

Fortunately, our rock Jose the roofer has stepped up to the plate. This isn't the first time he's saved me from peril, nor will it be the last. Apparently he's quite the pimp in the East End construction world. He has connections upon connections to hook us up with. I believe everything happens for a reason, so perhaps this was all part of the master plan...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just wanted to tell you that I think you are doing a wonderful job. I have been reading about your adventures for sometime on LiveModern.

I don't hang out there anymore, but I stopped by and saw that you had moved, so I decided to mosey on over and say hi.

HejiraNYC said...

Thanks for finding me here! I haven't given up on LiveModern entirely yet... but sometimes I do think it has just died suddenly. It is a shame...

Anyway, I am glad that you are finding the journey worth the time to read about it. While migrating this over here, I realized how naive I was at the outset of all of this. It's almost embarassing... but it's been worth documenting the journey. I almost feel like I know a thing or two now!