Monday, December 18, 2006

Welcome to ModHampton!!

After blogging on LiveModern for the past couple of years, the time has come for me to spin off onto my own blogging destiny. LiveModern is a great community where modern enthusiasts are able to exchange ideas about design, materials, architecture, environmental issues, etc. However, to put it bluntly, the interface was ass. I really wanted to blog more frequently, but it was just too prohibitively time-consuming, difficult and quirky. And the migration to the new software basically put the nail in the coffin for me- all of my old blog entries are essentially toast. Blogging should be au courant, spontaneous, and most of all, enjoyable! And now that I am here, I can be as snarky, blunt and ruthless as I want to be!

My blog over on LiveModern was pretty much a very dry, factual account of my attempts, as a non-architect, non-builder, non-designer, non-artist, non-millionaire to build my own house... in the Hamptons. My original intention was just find a nice lot somewhere east of the Shinnecock Canal and to build a modest cedar-shingled cottage or Cape Cod house. However, after poring through countless designs and elevations, I came across the Greenbelt 2 house and immediately I got that inner sense that this is going to be the one, even though it was totally not within my original scope.


Although it was originally spec'd to be a prefab modular, I decided to do it as a site-built house using prefab components like prefab concrete walls.

I would like to think that this house has kind of awakened the inner-modernist in me, which I am now unleashing onto the world. Now that I am here, I will continue blogging about the construction. In addition, I will go off on tangents and post about anything and everything that catches my eye, or the wacky goings-on in that crazy place 100 miles east of NYC.

But before I do anything else... it's time to do some catch-up. I will repost, in its entirety, my old LiveModern blog over here.

No comments: