Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ooh... competition...

When I started this site-built contruction project back in the Mesozoic Age, I figured I would beat prefab construction at its game. I would not only finish quickly, I would come in much cheaper. Or so I thought. Anyway... two years and several dozen grey hairs later, I sit here humbled by the magnitude of my hubris. I have failed miserably on all fronts. And to pour salt into the wounds, this Johnny-come-lately has stepped up to the plate.



To be honest, I didn't think it could be done. But somehow, someway Nate Wieler managed to get the first fully-modular Greenbelt 2 house underway in Maryland. Congrats, Nate! My house now has a southern cousin! This is pretty impressive considering this couldn't have started any earlier than the summer of 2006... so now that the playing field has been leveled, let's see who can get to the finish line quicker- the tortoise or the hare! Oh, it's on. BRING IT!!!

I realize the exterior has not been finished yet... but the reality seems quite different from the original computer renderings. It also appears that there are interior walls that were, perhaps, built in to provide rigidity during transport (?). I wonder if the clients requested a lot of customizations that resulted in these drastic deviations from the original renderings. I'm also curious to see whether they were able to prefab the atrium, aka, "greenbelt" walls as well. Oh well... perhaps one day I will be able to visit.

4 comments:

austinmodhouse said...

Ed, is there a link where I can find more pics of that MD greenbelt. the pic you have on your blog is.... leaving me wanting to see what is going on. it doesn't give me any of the same responses I got from the original sketches and renderings.

hope your slow and steady train rolls into the station soon.

paul schuster
austinmodhouse.com

HejiraNYC said...

Thanks, Paul. The train is a-coming.

Shortly after posting this, I discovered a gazillion additional pictures on Nate Wieler's site on flickr, which is also where I am hosting my blog photos now. He has additional pictures of my house as well as factory photos of the Greenbelt 2 being manufactured in the factory. As someone who pretty much knows every SQUARE INCH of the stock plans issued by Rapson, it appears that the prefab version is much, much different. I noticed especially that the end-gables on the atrium roof are solid, rather than paned with glass. And it appears that vinyl siding was used rather than hardiboard or cedar siding. And the windows used throughout are of different configurations and sizes.

This will be quite interesting when it is all done. I am actually visiting family in Maryland over the holidays, so perhaps I will try and make a detour to check this out!

Oh, Nate Wieler's flickr url is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15226876@N00/

Peace,

Ed

Anonymous said...

Really glad you've moved this to a real blog.

And the vinyl siding... I suppose we can only guess.
I found this montage of the setting posted on youtube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RLCF0SYr17E

Anonymous said...

That's hardiplank siding.