Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Cracking the code



Over the years, in my various endeavors, I have come to learn and appreciate that everything has its own jargon- a verbal sort of secret society handshake. What may be complete and utter gibberish for one person may be completely logical and rational for another.

Being new to the construction/building trade, I am still boning up on my construction/building jargon. It doesn't seem terribly complicated for the most part. However, all bets are out the window when the jargon-y shorthand scrawl is introduced, such as the gibberish written by the Southampton town building inspector on my failed framing inspection. He stated the following cryptic comment in a nearly-illegible scribble on the inspection report:

"Correction needed: 1 No T-4's, change t-4 @ 3" to Y or sweep @ double joist @ parallel partitions"


And that was all. Sure, I had read "The da Vinci Code," so I appreciated a good opportunity to decrypt this puzzling code. But there were no clues left around the worksite... no 16th century masterworks embedded with religious symbology to point to the reason(s) why my framing inspection failed. Maybe I should fly to Paris and I will find the answers under the IM Pei pyramid at the Louvre!

Or maybe it was just a matter of being persistent and getting this one bureaucrat at the Southampton Town building/zoning department to return my call and ask him, in so many words, what the fuck was this nonsense about? Indeed, I finally received the verbal explanation. However, I could not figure out why he couldn't have made the effort to write complete sentences to make his points clearer. He could have saved all of us some time and aggravation.

Anyway... go ahead and take a stab at deciphering this gobbledy-gook. I will post the real meaning of this tomorrow (or the day after).

2 comments:

jhammond said...

I stumbled on your blog on Live modern and tracked it here. I am in the process of building a modern home myself and started reading your blog out of a topical interest (figurted I'd gain some knowledge or insight). Although I have discovered some interesting things from your blog (like learning about H windows) I now enjoy reading it for the quick wit.

If you are interested here is my blog
http://www.evaidan.blogspot.com

HejiraNYC said...

Hey thanks for the encouragement... I'm glad that you actually found something informative about it. And yes, H Windows totally rock! Everyone who sees them thinks they are da bomb.

Anyway, I really like the concept of your house- it seems to have a certain dignity about it. It's not one of those "modern for the sake of being different" houses that we see all too often. Best of luck on your project!